Tips for Implementing Project Methodologies (found on the net)
"What is a methodology"?
A methodology is a step-by-step method for delivering projects. It describes every step in depth, so that you know what you have to do to deliver your project. By following the same steps for every project you undertake, you'll save time and effort on projects.
"How do I select a suitable methodology?"
The first step is to define your requirements. You need to think about what it is that you want from your methodology, the type of content it should contain and the way in which you intend to use it.
For instance, your requirements might be as follows:
- It needs to contain a complete Project Life Cycle
- Every step in the life cycle should be described in depth
- Each step should have practical templates and examples to help to complete the step quickly and easily
- It needs to be based on worldwide project standards
- It should suit all project types and sizes
- It should be easily customizable.
The next step is to review the methodologies used currently by your organization. Why reinvent the wheel if you have something that works in-house? Look at every methodology used and compare them to your requirements to see if there is a good fit.
If there isn't a good fit, then you need to look at purchasing a suitable methodology toolset. Start by searching the term "project management methodology" in Google and comparing each methodology you find against your requirements.
If you find a methodology that has an 80% fit, then that's great. Just make sure you can customize the remaining 20% to meet your requirements.
Where you can't find a suitable methodology toolset, your only option may be to develop a methodology from scratch. This will be more time consuming and expensive than adopting an existing internal methodology or purchasing a third-party methodology.
"How do I implement my selected methodology?"
Whether you've purchased or built your methodology, the next step is to implement it for your organization. This involves:
- Creating an Implementation Plan.
- Customizing your methodology for each project.
- Training your team to use the methodology.
- Making sure your team follow the methodology.
- Constantly improving the methodology.